CASA of Caroline
In 2003, over 300 cases of abuse or neglect were investigated by the Caroline County Department of Social Services. Approximately 50 children were in foster care at the end of that year. Each child who was removed from their parents’ home was involved in a lengthy court process. A group of concerned citizens recognized the need for someone to watch out for the best interest of foster care children. Spearheaded by then Circuit Court Judge J. Owen Wise, who had seen firsthand the positive results of CASA advocacy, CASA of Caroline became operational in September 2003.
Below is a brief history as told by our founder, The Honorable Judge J. Owen Wise.
Although the concept of CASA was firmly rooted in other states across the country and other counties in Maryland, its introduction to Caroline County was a challenge. It was akin to introducing a foreign language. Most people thought any child in the juvenile court system must have done something wrong to be there. One of the first hurdles was getting people at large to accept the fact that the children CASA deals with are victims and are part of the juvenile system due to no fault of their own. It remains a hurdle to this day.
It has been said that the reason that we don’t pay volunteers is not because they are worthless but because they are priceless. Keep up your unheralded good work!
It’s easy to make a buck. It’s a lot tougher to make a difference.
Make a Financial Contribution:
- Click on our "donation" link or send us a check. Monetary donations help cover the costs of recruiting and training volunteer advocates. All gifts are tax-deductible.
- Designate CASA of Caroline in your workplace giving. Don’t forget about matching funds programs and Maryland Charity Campaigns #1363. Please visit mdcharity.org to learn more.
- Honor a CASA advocate you know by making a gift in his or her honor.
- Make a planned gift through a bequest or life insurance gifts.
Become a Corporate Partner
We are looking for like-minded businesses and organizations within the community to become partners. Please visit our "Community Partners" page for more details and to see our current partners.
Make an In-Kind Donation:
- Office supplies like copy paper, file folders, etc.
- Non-perishable food and beverages to be used during trainings.
- Gift cards for gas or restaurants that our CASA's could use during their visits with their child
- Gift cards or items for the auction at our annual fundraiser.
Other Ways to Support:
- Host an event such as a car wash, bake sale, etc. to benefit CASA of Caroline.
- Shop AmazonSmile and designate CASA of Caroline as your charity of choice.
- Invite us to come present to your group, organization or workplace.
- Stay connected with us by signing up for our newsletter and e-mail updates.
Get In Touch
114 Market Street, Suite 100
Denton, MD 21629