A CASA Volunteer
What is a CASA Volunteer?
A Court-Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) volunteer, is a trained and committed adult who is appointed by a judge to represent and advocate for a child’s best interest in the Caroline County Courts. By becoming a CASA volunteer, you can help keep abused and neglected children safe and give them a chance at finding true happiness in a safe, loving and permanent home. For many of the children we serve, their CASA will be the ONE constant in an otherwise chaotic life.
What Are The Requirements?
In addition to caring about the well-being of children CASA volunteers MUST:
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Pass a background screening
- Complete 30 hours of pre-service training
- Continue with 12 hours of annual in-service training
- Be able to commit to a child until their case has closed, or for at least one year
- Be able to volunteer a minimum of 7-10 hours per month
What does a CASA Volunteer Do?
- They get to know the child – they listen; they talk to people in the child’s life to determine what is needed for the child to heal and thrive.
- They gather information from teachers, social workers, doctors, relatives; everyone involved in the child’s daily life.
- They ensure the child is safe and up-to-date with mental and physical health check-ups.
- They work with experts and service providers to identify and recommend services at keeping families intact or returning children safely to families.
- They create supportive environments for families from all walks of life by learning from our training in cultural competency.
- They make legal reports and recommendations in the child’s best interests to judges and magistrates.
- They Change a Child’s Story™!
Ways You Can Help
Make a Financial Contribution:
- Click on our "donation" link or send us a check. Monetary donations help cover the costs of recruiting and training volunteer advocates. All gifts are tax-deductible.
- Designate CASA of Caroline in your workplace giving. Don’t forget about matching funds programs and Maryland Charity Campaigns #1363. Please visit mdcharity.org to learn more.
- Honor a CASA advocate you know by making a gift in his or her honor.
- Make a planned gift through a bequest or life insurance gifts.
Become a Corporate Partner
We are looking for like-minded businesses and organizations within the community to become partners. Please visit our "Community Partners" page for more details and to see our current partners.
Make an In-Kind Donation:
- Office supplies like copy paper, file folders, etc.
- Non-perishable food and beverages to be used during trainings.
- Gift cards for gas or restaurants that our CASA's could use during their visits with their child
- Gift cards or items for the auction at our annual fundraiser.
Other Ways to Support:
- Host an event such as a car wash, bake sale, etc. to benefit CASA of Caroline.
- Shop AmazonSmile and designate CASA of Caroline as your charity of choice.
- Invite us to come present to your group, organization or workplace.
- Stay connected with us by signing up for our newsletter and e-mail updates.
Get In Touch
114 Market Street, Suite 100
Denton, MD 21629